Saturday, November 24, 2007

Black Friday

I had to work on black Friday. While I know many people don't even consider hitting the stores on this oh-so-crazy shopping day, I usually head out for at least a little bargain shopping. This year, I had to be at work between 8 and 8:30. But with all the early openings, I decided to hit a spot or two before work.

I set my alarm for 5 a.m. and the potential thrill of a good bargain made my hop out of bed without even one tap of the snooze button. By 5:45 I was out near Short Pump Town Center. Passing by the globs of cars outside WalMart, Target and Circuit City (I don't have any kids and would buy designer shoes over a TV any day, so no interest there), I headed for the mall where Macy's was set to open at 6 a.m. Yeah, I skipped the way early openings of Kohl's and JC Penney, but I didn't want to totally fall asleep at my desk later.

In Macy's, I first perused the kitchen appliances since I had a feeling this was where the best deals would be and where the crowds would head. There were some good deals on cappuccino makers and Henckel knives, but nothing I felt like spending funds on. I headed upstairs and saw that an INC coat I'd been coveting was 40 percent off! It was the perfect twist on the trench with gold sequins down the front in lieu of a belt.

As the clock neared 7 a.m. I headed down to Nordstrom. I didn't know what sales would be in store, but wanted to check them out. I walk through the upstairs revealed no exciting clothing sales. Downstairs, though, a table of newly-marked-down designer purses called to me. I found an adorable Marc By Marc Jacobs bag for $300. When I checked out, the sales associate informed me it had just been marked down that morning. Plus, anyone who opened a Norstrom card that morning and charged at least $100 received an automatic $20 reward coupon in the mail. Heck yeah!


My final stop was Express. I had planned to take a walk through and probably not buy anything when I saw it was open, figuring that mall boutiques like Express generally don't have good Black Friday sales. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in and got a list of special discounts and was told that everything in the store was 20 percent off until 11 a.m. I hastily picked up some gifts for my boyfriend and then headed off to work!


No comments: