Thursday, March 6, 2008

CLIF Chocolate Brownie Bar: It’s Tasty!


In my ongoing struggles to lose weight, I’ve started, yet again, going to the gym before work. Since “waking up early to work out” for me means tearing myself out of bed at the last possible second, I always have to change at the gym and therefore end up needing a quick, portable breakfast option. Of late, I’ve been sampling different varieties of protein bars trying to find one that’s got the right amount of calories and a decent flavor.
I’ve eaten plenty of CLIF bars in the past, and they’ve all been pretty good. Nothing amazing that I’d eat over an omelet, but they’re fine. Then the other day I bit into the Chocolate Brownie flavor. Now I was skeptical even buying a chocolate flavored protein bars. Anyone who’s ever experimented with bars knows the chalky, artificial chocolate taste often found by an adventurous sampler. I gave it a shot anyway.
I bit into my bar while reading my email and wasn’t really paying much attention. All of a sudden, I was torn away from my computer because I noticed this delicious, brownie-batter-esque flavor in my mouth. I couldn’t believe how good it tasted. There was still a bit of the bizarre protein-bar texture, but the taste was some of the most natural, creamy chocolate flavor I’ve ever sampled in a “fitness” bar.
Label-wise it has 240 calories, 5 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat, 44 total carbs, 5 grams dietar fiber, 22 grams sugar and 10 grams protein. A bit high on the sugar, but otherwise pretty good. Perfect for a post-workout breakfast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The carrot cake also rocks!