Monday, January 28, 2008

27: A hit

Okay, so yes I've hit two restaurants owned by Antonio Capece of La Grotta in three days. But both were so delicious it was worth it! I'd read a few negative reviews of 27 but wanted to check it out for myself. I found it hard to believe that anything Capece's involved with wouldn't be delicious. For my entree I ordered homemade fettuccine with a spicy tomato sauce and shrimp ($15). As I eagerly anticipated the arrival of my meal, I enjoyed fresh-baked bread with a tasty sundried tomato dip. The bread was the crusty, chewy sort that I absolutely adore. My meal was equally pleasing. It came with plenty of fresh shrimp that were cooked perfectly. They practically melted in my mouth. The fettuccine was also delicious, if slightly overcooked (it was a little tender for my taste, but tasted great). The only criticism I can must is that the dish lacked the advertised "spice." But the sauce tasted so fresh and tomato-y I didn't even miss it. For dessert I sampled the vanilla creme brulee (they were out of the delicious-sounding Italian cheesecake, a disappointment) and it was light, crunchy, custardy and amazing. It came in an oval-shaped dish that allowed for the perfect amount of crunch and custard. Overall, the meal was tasty and 27 will certainly be added into my meal rotation.

No comments: