Monday, January 28, 2008

Moshi Moshi

Friday night it was time to try Moshi Moshi. I'd been surveying the modernistic sign and almost techno-looking exterior on various drives through Carytown. A friend was in town and we were craving sushi. We decided to stop by.
The interior is upscale and totally redone. Downstairs has a very dark, wood feel and holds a bar, tables and chairs and a cozy fireplace that calls for one to drop in for one of the unique beer selections and good conversation. Upstairs has a lighter dining room feel. The menu features an eclectic mix of sushi with modern twists, entrees, fancy Japanese appetizers and soups. While many of the entrees (priced at about $22 and up) looked intriguing, I was in the mood for sushi and not spending a ton of money. So, I went for ginger soup, a spicy tuna roll and a special roll made with shrimp tempura and eel sauce. The tempura avocado sounded interesting but I decided to save it for a future visit.
If you don't like cilantro mayonnaise or mango, I don't suggest going to Moshi Moshi for sushi. Practically every roll has one, the other, or a combination of the two. While this didn't bother me, one of my companions didn't like either and had to order her rolls with many alterations. The staff was very accommodating, however, and was happy to alter their rolls to meet her preferences.
I've heard Moshi Moshi is owned by the same people as Sumo San. I know many people love Sumo, but on the one occasion I tried it I wasn't too impressed and felt similarly about Moshi Moshi's sushi. My spicy tuna suffered from too much rice and too little tuna. The shrimp roll lacked the satisfying crunch that only well-prepared tempura batter can provide. My ginger soup was flavorful but contained shrimp with the tail on. This may be traditional, but a restaurant that has no problem putting upscale twists on traditional cuisine could at least cut the tails off my shrimp so I don't have the dilemma of how to delicately de-tail shrimp in soup. Also, the ginger flavor wasn't too strong for that to be the name of the soup. There were bits of shredded ginger in the bottom of my bowl, but they were light on that sweet bite ginger usually possesses.
As stated, the drink menu had a nice beer selection and a long list of sake ranging in price from the teens to the thirties. We tried the only organic one on the menu and it had a smooth fruity flavor with a pleasant aftertaste.
Overall, I would not go back for sushi, but would still like to try the entrees. The bar definitely merits a return as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Moshi Moshi was sublime. Everything was delicious, and I'm pretty sure they served me the freshest, best sushi I've ever had outside of Japan.

Five stars.

Gavin, Carytown resident

Anonymous said...

Going out frequently to dine, I know when a place will last. Moshi Moshi will last. Just because the owner has another place doesnt mean that it is going to be the same. Moshi Moshi is the hibachi side of the chain. Sumo San is the sushi side. The fish is the freshest you will get in the city, and that is why it is a bit pricier than its flash frozen counterparts. To really get an idea of the quality of Moshi Moshi you have to try the entrees. Those are the signature items of Moshi Moshi. The sushi is only a side note, Sumo San gets to keep that niche.

Megan said...

Thanks for the comment. I'll have to check out the entrees!

Mike said...

The fish is the freshest you will get in the city, and that is why it is a bit pricier than its flash frozen counterparts.
This is a commonly held myth. Many sushi grade fish are required by law to be frozen. As far as I know, every sushi place in Richmond gets their fish from one of two wholesalers in town. That said, I'm excited to check out Moshi Moshi tonight.

Anonymous said...

This restaurant was freaking terrible, do not go there. Cheap food lion bagged lettuce as the house salad. Food lion cold rolls as "bread" for your steak. I waited 1 hour 25 minutes for my entre and there was only one other table in the entire restaurant.

This restaurant is an expensive piece of crap, and not worth it. Tea even costs $2.00 a cup with no refills. The service was terrible, the food wasn't that good, and the wait was unbearable.

What a scam, do not go there!!!!