Friday, August 29, 2008

Ross Dress for Less: Success and Randomness

So, if you asked me to name the most random store in Richmond, I'd probably come up with Ross Dress for Less. Since this store opened at Willow Lawn, I've stopped in occasionally to varying success. One an early trip, I picked up a glamorous metallic sea-foam-green Calvin Klein leather purse for about $70. On subsequent trips I've found no name brands I recognize with the exception of teeny-bopper lines like "Hot Kiss."

It was with a wary eye that I dropped in earlier this week. It was after work, I didn't feel like making the drive out to the good TJ Maxx or Marshall's, and I needed shoes for a wedding I'm in next weekend. It's about 3 minutes from my office so I decided on a walk-through. First off, I found a super-cute and elegant pair of Nine West satin slingbacks for $17.99. Perfect! The issue I was having with other shoes I'd seen around town was that black satin tends to go toward matronly or juniors department. These hit the middle of the road with a touch of upscale. Read: I will actually wear them again. Hooray!

With one good find in hand, I couldn't leave without a loop around the rest of the store. Other checkout-worthy inventory included an entire rack of BCBG sweat suits priced at $21.99 per piece with the original $140 price tags still attached; brown leather Banana Republic handbags; white leather Francesco Biasia handbags; Calvin Klein work-ish clothes, Tahari suits and Nine West suites. What a great selection. I guess Ross may have to become a regular on my bargain-hunting rotation.

No comments: